Tuesday, February 1, 2011




So, I haven't been posting because I'm in that week in between grocery trips where I'm just trying to empty the shelves, and really all the protein and fresh veggies are gone. These past few days at 5:00pm when I'm driving home, I am so tempted to veer off the road and patron a Taco Bell. But no. I have remained true to the challenge, and found that I am scrappy.


All I had to work with today was canned garbanzo beans and onions. I found this recipe online for "Baked Falafel" and made a jalapeno - goat cheese sauce (that's all I had to replace a tzatziki). And now, I am going to start making this dish on purpose. I will, though, buy the pita bread and tzatziki beforehand- I missed that. But even Alex loved the recipe- he said it was the best he ever had :) Homemade falafel always seemed so intimidating. Well, Domestic Goddesses we have no need to fear.

(Share if you have other tried and true falafel recipes... I am so excited to find out how easy it was)



Original Recipe Yield
2 servings

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I didn't have any, but I am sure it wouldve been even better)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil

Directions

  1. Wrap onion in cheese cloth and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Set aside. Place garbanzo beans, parsley, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, and baking soda in a food processor. Process until the mixture is coarsely pureed. Mix garbanzo bean mixture and onion together in a bowl. Stir in the flour and egg. Shape mixture into four large patties and let stand for 15 minutes.
  2. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  3. Heat olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Place the patties in the skillet; cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
  4. Transfer skillet to the preheated oven and bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 281 | Total Fat: 9.3g | Cholesterol: 106mg

3 comments:

  1. Yayyy Eli!

    Beth was talking about falafel too and it seems like an intimidating thing! Perhaps I'll take a crack at it soon.

    And, good for you for using up your pantry items! So thrifty of you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. very impressive!! i just always bake the kind from the box. it's so delicious!! plus it doesn't call for any oil, so that's nice. and i serve it with tabbouli and hummus (or babaghanoush-- which makes you less gassy than hummus hahaha) and pita. SO DELISH!!! also good to pair with it: tomato/cucumber/feta salad, sundried or oven roasted tomatoes, greek salad

    ReplyDelete
  3. and i want the recipe for the jalapeno/goat cheese sauce you made!!

    ReplyDelete