Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Basic Sherry Wine Sauce

(Two of the main inspirations in our domestic goddess kitchen endeavors)


As young girls, my dad used to make a "Pollo en Salsa Blanca" (Chicken in White Sauce) when we visited our restaurants. Most of the menu items were a bit too complicated for our toddler pallets. He served the chicken perfectly grilled, and the white sauce was so simple, creamy and delicious. I have recently started making Pollo en Salsa Blanca again as an adult, and not only is it so comforting but it is still so tasty.

The Sherry sauce is good on anything (drizzled over asparagus, spinach ravioli, potatoes, you name it!). I usually do a pan seared chicken these days. But if I had a grill I would use it as well.

Ingredients:
- 2 tbl spoon of butter
- 4 tspn of flour (or less)
- 1 cup of cream (or half & half)
- 1 tbl sppon of sherry wine
- 1 tspn of white pepper
- Chopped parsley
- salt to taste

* You can substitute the majority of the cream with chicken broth, and then just add a splash of cream to save on calories*


1. Melt the butter in a sauce pan on low heat
2. Add the flour to the butter, and stir until it becomes a paste (it will smell delicious)
3. Slowly stir in the cream (or chicken broth)
4. Slowly stir in the Sherry wine
5. If you are adding mushrooms, do so now
6. When thickened and reduced, add white pepper, parsley, and more sherry or cream if desired
7. Add salt to taste

4 comments:

  1. mmmm pollo en salsa blanca with a shirley temple please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and then... a nap at the corner table with a tablecloth draped over me.

    thanks for sharing Eli! So, do you always have sherry wine on hand? I know it's a sherry sauce so that must be pretty integral to the recipe... need to get me some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, this sounds so delicious and I love the feeling of "home" it has...thanks Eli :)

    Michi, my mom keeps a bottle of Sherry in the liquor cabinet. I don't think it goes bad. She loves to add a dash to soups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes i keep sherry wine on hand. And i only use it for cooking so i store it in my spice cabinet with other cooking ingredients. Its really great in risottos or soups like Louise suggested, anything creamy really.

    ReplyDelete