Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pulled an Audible: Chicken Sausage Pasta Bake

This wasn't at all in my menu for this week, but it also is one of our standard go-tos. If I ever mention it to Will as an option for dinner, he chooses this above all others, every time. I love it too because it's super easy and forgiving with substitutions. The leftovers are also great for days afterwards.

Like most recipes, I sort of wing it. To be honest, I don't even remember where I got the original recipe. Last night for instance, I had no ricotta, so I used cottage cheese.  Below is the general outline I follow:

* One onion, chopped
* One bell pepper, chopped (I use green bc they're more nutritious, but red are sweeter)
* One package of chicken sausage like Aidelle's, cut into bite size pieces
* One can of diced tomatoes (I use the kind with peppers)
* Red pepper flakes, to taste (I use a lot)
* Ricotta cheese, approx 1/2 cup
* One package of cooked short pasta like Fusili
* Parmesan cheese for topping

- Preheat oven to Broil
- Put water to boil and cook pasta per packaging instructions to al dente
- Saute onion and bell peppers until soft
- Add chicken sausage. Cook until heated through
- Add in tomatoes and red pepper flakes and stir to heat through
- Add in ricotta and stir to combine
- Prep baking dish with cooking spray
- Pour in al dente pasta, then cover with the sausage/tomato/cheese mixture, and top off with parmesan cheese
- Broil uncovered for 10 minutes

TA-DA!

1 comment: