Friday, March 4, 2011

Another Audible + Recipe Mashup: Roasted Chicken Piccata

Pulled another audible with a recipe that wasn't in the menu list for the week- that's ok right? I'm crazy like that.

Despite the craziness, I LOVED how this recipe turned out. It was a mashup of traditional chicken piccata (all the same ingredients) and the chicken tarragon I made a few weeks ago. For some reason, I wasn't in the mood to saute the chicken breasts on the skillet. I wanted to throw it in the oven and not have to babysit it. Also, I loved the method of making the sauce for the chicken tarragon, so I took a little bit from that recipe, transferred it into this recipe.... no bigs. It was awesome! Below is what I did:

[Imagine a beautiful picture of a roasted chicken breast, lightly dotted with capers and a lemon sauce, gently nestled in a bed of whole wheat linguine. I need to work on my food photo skills.]

* 3 Chicken Breasts with skin on (it's my new obsession- it's still chicken breast, so totally heart healthy, but roasting the chicken gives you the awesome skin that isn't that bad for you. Do skinless if it gives you the heebs.)
* Dijon Mustard
* S&P
* A couple of tbsp of butter (2-ish)
* 1/2 Shallot, minced
* 1 garlic clove, minced (or more if you feel like it)
* A couple of tbsp of flour (2-ish)
* 1 C of chicken stock
* 1 lemon
* Capers

- Set oven to 425*. Put chicken breasts on roasting rack and coat with dijon mustard. Sprinkle with s&p.
- Roast chicken for 45 minutes (approximately. If you have a thermometer - cook until the breast's internal temp reads 170*)
- When you have about 15 minutes left on the chicken: Melt butter in a skillet, add in minced shallots and garlic and cook for about 30 secs. Add flour and whisk until all combined and pasty (you've made a roux! go you!)
- Slowly add chicken stock and continue to whisk feverishly
- Add the juice of one lemon (start with 1/2, if you love it, add in the other half), throw in the capers (as many as you like. I like it capery)
- Add s&p to taste.
- Now, the chicken is hopefully done by now- Place the chicken chests (haha) onto your plate or serving platter BUT add the pan drippings into the sauce on the skillet. This is magical. Stir to combine.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken chests and serve with pasta or rice.

1 comment:

  1. I love roasted chicken chests. You're so inventive in the kitchen...I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete