Monday, January 24, 2011

Baby it's Cold Outside...

Hello! It's Monday and it's freaking cold and this is how I feel about it:

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/256714/256714,1226988661,1/stock-photo-poor-girl-walking-and-freezing-needing-a-vacation-down-south-20708026.jpg

If you can't tell by the look on her face, she's pissed. It's FREEZING cold in NYC today and it's putting me in a terrible mood! The only thing keeping me going today is knowing that I have left-over Chicken and Dumplings in my fridge for dinner. Ladies, let's talk about these little dumplings. They are divine. One of the best dishes I've ever made. I ended up going with my girl PW's recipe, because PW is the bomb: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/12/chicken-and-dumplings/.

To digress for a minute, about 3 years ago now, one of my besties (who also happens to be the bomb and she happens to have a dumpling in her belly) introduced me to our girl PW. It was love at first sight! Her recipes, although not low cal or always the healthiest, are worth the splurge. Every single one I've tried is delicious. This made it on my Thanksgiving menu this year:



Scrumptious Apple Pie


It tasted as good as it looks. Anyway, if you're looking for something super yummy, you can always count on PW. Back to the dumplings...they were delicious and surprisingly easy to make. The "whole chicken" thing scared me a bit, but I was assured it was nbd (no big deal) by aforementioned dumpling carrier and she was right! I had the nice guys at Whole Foods chop that sucker up and I just threw it into the pan. It was delicious and I will keep this recipe on file for another cold, wintry night!

This weekend I also tried the tomato and mozzarella panini's--they were delish! Perfect lunch for an afternoon on the couch watching football!

This week for dinner my plans are pretty lame. The man of the house will be away, so I have no one to impress. (This is funny: JP (and my mom actually) thinks my new cooking craze is my way of pushing him along on his commitment plans...hysterical. Not true, but awesome if it's working :)

Monday: Cormeal Crusted Tilapia (even though I just said I'm having dumplings I remember I have this in my fridge...some guy at the fish counter got 5 lbs and decided that if he was getting THAT much, I should probably get some too. Peer Pressure.)

Cornmeal-Crusted Tilapia with Tomatillo Salsa

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001867551

Tuesday: Leftover Dumplings
Wednesday: Hospital Night (I'm looking forward to a Lean Pocket-- I admit that I sometimes have a thing for processed foods)
Thursday: Meatloaf...still looking for a good recipe. Please share if you have one! I've really been craving this with lot's of ketchup!
Friday: Take-Out (you'll see this as a reoccurring theme on Friday's...I never have the gusto to cook on a Friday night)
Saturday: Finally going to get to the Mexican Casserol I intended to make 2 weeks ago

That's all lovlies. Jealous that Beth will be in LA (in the sun) this weekend! A trip to Sprinkles for a Strawberry cupcake is a must.

xo




3 comments:

  1. I've had meatloaf on my mind too!! I have this turkey meatloaf recipe, but I don't know where I got it! This makes a lot so feel free to half the recipe. Or make it all and enjoy meatloaf sandwiches :)

    4 eggs
    2 sm yellow onions (chopped finely)
    10-12 cloves of garlic, diced
    1/3 c tomato paste
    1/2 c parsley (I use 1/4 c of dried parsley)
    2 tsp each of oregano and basil
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    2 3/4 lb of turkey
    3 c panko bread crumbs

    *Oven at *375
    *Line baking sheet with foil and pan it
    *Combine eggs, garlic, onions tomato paste, herbs, S&P, and mix well (if you want, use a blender/food processor)
    *Mix turkey and panko in large bowl and add egg/seasoning mixture. Work with your hands. Get dirty :)
    *Transfer to the baking sheet and form into a loaf
    *Bake for about 1hr and 15 min
    *Once cooked through, remove from oven, tent with foil and let rest for 15 min before serving.

    That's it! Pretty basic, and I'm sure you can get fancier- add BBQ sauce, or cheese... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also like spreading another small can of tomato paste on top of the loaf. gives it so much more moisture!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh good call! PS- where are you today?? :)

    ReplyDelete