Monday, February 29, 2016

Michelle's Weekly Menu - Week of 2/28/16

Hi everyone!

I neglected to post last week but did some minimal cooking - nothing to write about. I made the pork shoulder in the slow cooker. I <3 my slow cooker. The pork shoulder was super simple:

Salt and Pepper
Garlic Powder
Liquid Smoke
Pineapple juice

Then in the slow cooker on low for 11 hours (because that's how long I was away). I then shredded it and doctored it up in different ways - we made tacos one night, threw it in a salad another night. I'm going to make it into a ragu for Monday's dinner.

We had the girls' school gala Saturday night and Will and I danced too much. Before that I got together with a friend for lunch, who then came over while I got ready (1 bottle of wine and 1 bottle of prosecco later...) so needless to say Sunday was a recovery day.

Here's what we have going on this week -

Sunday: Chicken soup (recipe below since I kind of threw things together that I ended up loving)
Monday: Pork Ragu + Pasta for the girls, roasted broccoli for me and Will. I'll probably do this recipe, but use pork instead of ground beef or turkey.
Tuesday: I have an appointment after work, so Will will probably feed the girls.
Wednesday: Slow Cooker Asian Sweet Chili Chicken I'm traveling for work so will have this cooking for them during the day.
Thursdays: Leftovers because....
Friday-Monday: In Houston for Eva's baptism!!

So excited to celebrate Eva. The girls, especially Annelise, will randomly proclaim their love for baby Eva. Heart-melting.

Here's the Chicken Soup that I made last night:

1/2 stick of butter (I swear this is the worst part)
1/2 cup of flour
You're going to make a roux so if you want to use something else beside butter (bacon grease), proceed.

Make the roux, then slowly add in coconut milk, whisking the entire way to make sure the roux is smooth - I probably add a total of 1 cup of coconut milk.

Add 1/4 cup of each of onions, carrots, celery, potatoes (definitely add more if you want!). Continue whisking.

Add 4 cups of chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil.

Add shredded chicken (I bought a rotisserie chicken and shredded it). Keep the soup at a simmer at this point. Taste for seasoning - add salt, pepper (I use white pepper in soups usually), thyme, whatever floats yer boat.

Add orzo and cook until soft.

I also added in corn, but might do peas next time. I think the big difference is the roux and coconut milk. Made it creamy but light.

What do yall have going on this week?? xo





No comments:

Post a Comment