Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cauliflower Soup version 2.0

I've been making this cauliflower soup for years and years. Generally it's great, sometimes it's not as awesome, yet I still always come back to this recipe because it's just so easy. And really, you can substitute any vegetable and still get a great soup. But I think I just hit this recipe's sweet spot.

I took a page from the white sauce recipe Eli posted last year. I added just a splash of sherry and some white pepper and it has made ALL the difference. It's so delicious. The recipe is now:

Cauliflower Soup
* Shallot or small onion, diced
* Garlic clove, finely diced
* One head of cauliflower, chopped
* Approximately 6 cups of chicken broth
* Splash of sherry
* Generous amounts of white pepper (might want to start off not so generously, and adjust on taste)
* Salt to taste

- Saute onions in a bit of olive oil until soft, but not browned
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant, do not let brown
- Add cauliflower and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer until cauliflower is super tender
- Puree as if your life depended on it. Gets rid of the gritty feeling.
(*If you're feeling naughty, which I often am, I add a pat of butter before pureeing. Just a pat is all you need to make this feel decadent. Plus I rationalize it because this is virtually a fat-free recipe anyways. A pat of butter never hurt anyone. Don't judge me.)
- Stir in the splash of sherry and white pepper
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.

4 comments:

  1. do you use a stick thingie to puree? or do you pour into a blender?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Immersion/hand blender for sure. I think it's definitely worht the investment if you don't have one. I use it all the time.

    I have a blender also, but for soups I just hate having to clean another appliance! Part of the appeal is it's one pot, one thing to get dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally. and there are cute colorful immersion blenders for like $30 at sur la table (dangerous to go into that store.... so much good stuff). im gonna make this soup next week when i can have chicken again!!! idont think it'd be as good wtih vegetable stock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA definitely have made it with just water in a pinch. Had to add extra salt for flavor. Veggie stock probably wouldn't be bad though!

    ReplyDelete