Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Papi's Skillet Steak with Repochetas


Hi Everyone!
I have finally added the steak and repochetas dinner my dad taught me. Hopefully I can explain everything right!

*WARNING* Contents may contain high amounts of butter :)

Part I: Skillet Steak
First things first, you need to go to the supermarket/butcher and get some beef tenderloin. But you don't want just any beef tenderloin... you want a center cut beef tenderloin with the side muscle cut off. Be very specific because they will look at you and think they can "screw you" as my dad says. They did it to my mom apparently. Picture of what you're looking for below. (minus the string... you dont need string)

Get as many as you like -one that size will feed two easily-

Rest of the ingredients: (No measurements listed because dad doesn't speak in measurements)
- Salt and Pepper
- Butter (at least a quarter stick)

That's it!

Directions
1. Wash your hands (you use your hands a lot)
2. Get one of your sharpest knives and butterfly the steak. The way my dad showed me is like this: Lay the beef down, put your knife on the side where the steak was cut (not the round side), push the knife horizontally against the beef while you do slow cutting motions, the beef will "roll-out," it should be less than 1 inch think but not flimsy thin. (closest video of what it's like below- thanks Michelle! - disregard the fat cutting off part and the fact that it's pork.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggLP60GMXeQ

3. Pound down the steak with your fists to tenderize the meat.
4. The steak should fit in your standard skillet so if you have to cut yours in half (which I do every time) do it now.
5. Grab butter and pat it onto the steak (both sides) - use as much as you want but know that the secret to my dad's steak is a lot of butter
6. Pepper both sides of the steak. If you used a lot of butter, use a lot of pepper.
7. Place steak on skillet and cook on Medium heat. Flip to other side when needed.
8. Use whatever method you normally use to see if steak is ready. (thermometer, fingerrareness test, guesstimation, etc.) I'm pretty bad at this part and just hope it's done, slice the thickest part and if it's not ready I throw it back on the skillet.
9. Remove steak from skillet and set aside. Finish second steak half if you have it.
10. Salt steak sides. (Again, as much as you want)
11. **Your choice step** This is where my dad will use the leftover juices from the skillet, add a little more butter (of course), brown it, and then pour that over finished steaks. Because everything can use more butter... However, you don't need to do this. It tastes fine without it.

And you're done! (Finished product below)

Part II: Repochetas (aka Nicaraguan Quesadillas)
Ingredients
- Smoked provolone
- Corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil

Directions
1. Lay out 1 corn tortilla and over it place some smoked provolone, cover with another corn tortilla (literally, like you're making a quesadilla)
2. Place repocheta on a skillet that has a few dolops of vegetable oil (not a lot, we're not deep frying it..)
3. Once cheese has started to melt and the bottom tortilla has a golden brown rim and patches, flip to other side.
4. Once both sides look the same, remove from skillet and set aside.
Make as many as you want!
(Finished product below)

You can serve with rice and veggies and if you want a sauce for your steak- chimichurri and a spicy vinegar taste the best.

Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely amazing! I'm putting it on my list for the first weekend I'm home! Thanks teeners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cris! Butter is the key.

    Does anyone elses place get ridiculously smokey when you do skillet steaks?? I've set off the fire alarm every time. In my fantasy kitchen, I have a range hood where this isn't a problem. Where is my fantasy kitchen??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine does! Which is why I steer clear of recipes like this, but in NYC you have no other choice since there is no grill! My pan also gets super sticky...do you think a cast iron skillet is best?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah i dont like cooking smoky stuff in the house. it looks like for the steak that cooking it on a grill would be fine, but you'd miss the last step of using the juices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea I use a cast iron skillet ($16 from Jack's 99 cent store in midtown!)I love it and still make the skillet steaks all the time (doing it on Sunday). I'm just prepared to keep the windows and doors open :)

    ReplyDelete