Thursday, February 16, 2012

Spicy Stewed Beef Review

Spicy Stewed Beef with Creamy Cheddar Grits 
Picture from PWs Recipe - link at the bottom
How could you not want to devour this immediately?? It was just as good as the picture too. A few things:

- I used short ribs because they were on sale. We essentially had 4 strips of boneless short ribs, and it perfectly fed the two of us.
- Cooking time ended up being approx 4 hours. I think this is a case of the longer the better. Just make sure heat is very low. It was one of the easiest recipes, though!
- The chipotle peppers are SPICY! I added about 2 tbsp of sugar towards the end of the cooking time to tone down the heat a bit. Eating it with the cheddar grits also made it a perfect spicy/creamy balance.
- Apart from the oil used to sear the meat at the very beginning, this dish is pretty fat free. Granted, the cheddar grits are not fat free (cheese, I added some butter, half and half) but I felt ok with indulging in the grits.
- Speaking of the grits, it was my first time making them. They didn't look as voluminous as they do in PWs picture. Mine were more liquidy. I'll have to give them another shot because there were delicious!

Full recipe over at our friend PWs: Spicy Stewed Beef with Creamy Cheddar Grits

No comments:

Post a Comment