Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Carne Molida Recipe

The actual name is Carne Enchorizada. Carne Molida is easier to say though :) This is something that we grew up eating at least once a week. Yoly would whip this up along with rice. I remember coming home from school or practice and seeing the serving dishes ready and waiting on the kitchen island. Ahh... to have a Yoly in my life again.

I'm sure she used ground beef, although I don't remember the flavors being all that different. I loved it with ground turkey and to be honest I don't think I have ever bought ground beef. So I'll stick with the turkey.

I'm new at the documenting process and completely forget to take a shot of the finished product.... I was starving and couldn't shovel food in my mouth and snap a picture at the same time. But here we go!

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 carrots
  • 1 potato
  • 1 package of ground turkey (~20 oz)
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Dijon Mustard
  • Garlic Powder
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1.5 cups of water
  • 1 tsp Better than Bouillon or any chicken stock cube (or just replace the 1.5 c of water with chicken stock)
  • 1/4 cup Ketchup (optional)
1. Dice the onions and add to the skillet with the vegetable oil. Cook on Med Hi heat until soft.
2. While the onions are sauteing, cut up the potatoes and carrots. I ended up not using all of that potato because it was a big one.
 3. Add in the ground turkey and break up into little pieces. You're going to cook the turkey for a lot longer than you think, you're going to move from pink, to gray, to brown. For the love of all that is good and tasty - move past the gray! You want brown.
4. Throw in a little pat of butter. It makes everything better. Also add a pinch or two of salt.
5. Get your seasonings ready and add to the ground turkey - I did a turn of the pan of WS, about a tablespoon of DM, and a couple of shakes of GP.
 6. (Sorry for the blurry photo, I'm new at this) Add in the tomatoes and green chilies. It's perfectly fine to use fresh diced tomatoes. This is just convenient.
7. Add in the carrots and potatoes and water. I used just enough water to cover the meat and veggie mixture. It ended up being 1.5 cups
8. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Add in chicken base (if using), and stir.
9. Let simmer for at least 20 minutes but until the liquid has reduced. I just walked away, played with Amelia, put her to sleep, and then came back. Ended up being at least 45 minutes. Add in ketchup (if using); it adds a delicious sweetness and makes the dish a richer color.

Serve with rice.

For those interested, I added this into WW and it came out to 8 points if you factor in that this is 5 servings.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE THE DOCUMENTATION! so wait... it's 8 pts if you eat how much of it... 1/5? i'm confused about that. I will be making this soon!! i can pretty much make anything and if i say, "i learned this from the Corduas" then Ryan's automatically convinced it's going to be absolutely delicious. i should just start saying that i learned any new recipe from yall so that he likes them all haha! i think im making that yummy-looking fish sticks recipe tonight and i'm prett-ayyy excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea exactly! If you figure that this serves 5 people, and you only eat 1 serving, then it's 8pts. And big side note- you can add more veggies (bell peppers, for instance), which would add to the volume, and perhaps increase the serving amount and reduce the points. But remember you're going to have some rice on the side which isn't so point friendly (2/3 cup is 3 points)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm good point. This might be a great dinner if I have a green juice in the morning and something really vegetable-y for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spell it Yoli...

    Also, (Michelle and I talked about this yesterday) I don't use ketchup I use dashes of soy sauce and no tomatoes (dont like them). Ground beef is delicious but ground turkey is clearly the healthier option. Mitch and I are fatties though and one pound of ground beef feeds the two of us and then one lunch for later :)

    ReplyDelete