Thursday, March 1, 2012

Updated: Chicken Sausage Pasta Bake

This chicken sausage pasta bake has been in the rotation for years. I honestly don't remember where the recipe came from or when we first made it. A google search led me to this Ra-Ray recipe which could be it. As I've mentioned before, it's one of our trusted go-tos and it makes so much, the leftovers are great to have around. 


Because of the busy week I wanted something super easy, and I realized I had on hand all the ingredients for the Chicken Sausage Pasta Bake, except for the ricotta. I did have goat cheese leftover from a long time (I'm to embarrassed to say how long ago, but the expiration date was still good!!). It was so much better with goat cheese. It turned it into something different, and a little high brow, even? If casseroles can be high brow.... Whatever I love casseroles. Just keep me away from the mega-Walmarts if that's where my love of the casseroles will take me. They're just so good. So go make yo'self some. 


PS- HAPPY BETHDAY EVE!!!


Below again is the recipe and I've added in the goat cheese substitution. 


* One onion, chopped
* One bell pepper, chopped (I use green bc they're more nutritious, but red are sweeter)
* One package of chicken sausage like Aidelle's, cut into bite size pieces
* One can of diced tomatoes (I use the kind with peppers)
* Red pepper flakes, to taste (I use a lot)
* Ricotta cheese, approx 1/2 cup OR 1 package of crumbled goat cheese
* One package of short pasta like Fusili
* Parmesan cheese for topping

- Preheat oven to Broil
- Put water to boil and cook pasta per packaging instructions to al dente
- Saute onion and bell peppers until soft
- Add chicken sausage. Cook until heated through
- Add in tomatoes and red pepper flakes and stir to heat through
- Add in ricotta/goat cheese and stir to combine
- Prep baking dish with cooking spray
- Pour in al dente pasta, then cover with the sausage/tomato/cheese mixture, and top off with parmesan cheese
- Broil uncovered for 10 minutes

1 comment:

  1. We just had this for dinner using the goat cheese and it was delicious!! And most importantly for a monday night, so easy! Jp doesn't like bell pepper so I left it out and added a little more onion. We'll be eating leftovers for days!

    ReplyDelete