Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pickled Onions

I apologize in advanced for the vagueness of this recipe. DEAL WITH IT! Just kidding. It's incredibly easy and fluid and substitutions are welcomed and sometimes necessary and that's ok.

You need an old jam or mason jar with its lid. You also need to make these about a day in advance. They stay good in the fridge forever. They're pickled. Indestructible!

This recipe depends on the size of your jar. You're going to fill it all up.

* Onions, quartered and sliced
* Habaneros
* Apple cider vinegar
* Garlic, minced

- Prep your onions and peppers.
- Add the onions, peppers, and garlic into the jar
- Cover all the way to the top with apple cider vinegar
- Put lid on the jar
- Use the jar as your maracas and dance to La Cucaracha
- Set out in the sun for a couple of hours *you can also microwave for 2 minutes (without lid) or store it in a warm place (above your toaster) for a bit. Or skip the warming phase all together. I do that sometimes too.
- Store in the fridge

Some notes:
1. This is honestly what I do. I use an old Bonne Maman jelly jar, so it's not very big: Cut up one onion, add about a teaspoon of minced garlic, fill to the top with whatever vinegar I have on hand, and add about 10 dashes of hot habanero sauce. Then I leave out on the counter near my toaster for a couple of hours. Feels warm there. Then I put in the fridge and use whenever.

2. Like I said, I have used habanero hot sauce in the past and it works fine! If you need these onions and don't have peppers on hand, don't sweat. Hot sauce also works.

3. I don't always have apple cider vinegar. In fact, I almost always use white vinegar. Any type works.

4. I haven't added amounts because it depends on how big your jar is, how spicy you like it, and many other personal preferences. Perhaps a good place to start is 1:1:1. One onion, one habanero, one garlic clove. Adjust accordingly if you like spicy.
5. Some people add sugar. I never have, but some do.

6. When you're done with the onions, SAVE THE LEFTOVER VINEGAR! That is deliciously pickled and flavored. Just cut up some new onions, peppers, and garlic and top off with more vinegar if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment