Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Chew's Baked Artichoke Chicken

This recipe was really good! I served it over white rice (poured the broth from the pan on it) and with a Greek side salad. When I make it again, I'd maybe make a little more of the broth and add more pepper. I'd also just pile the other 1/2 pound of mushrooms in there. Ryan liked this dish too- it was good!
________ This recipe won a contest on a television show called The Chew. Mario Batali and others judged 3 chicken recipes made by regular people, and this won first prize!

I used white wine, instead of the red, because I like it better with chicken. I also increased the garlic and placed the vegetables UNDER the chicken pieces, instead of around them. I baked my chicken at 375F because I like crispy skin.

Here is the original recipe, make changes as you see fit.

Donna Giblin's Baked Artichoke Chicken: (adapted from ABC The Chew)

  • 4 lbs. chicken legs and thighs, w/ skin (Instead, I used a small chicken cut up, including breasts)
  • 1 cup artichoke hearts, halved (canned is fine- I used the whole can)
  • 1 medium onion, cut into pieces same size as the artichokes
  • 1 pound white button mushrooms (halved or quartered. These wouldn't all fit in the pan so I did about 1/2 a lb. instead, oh well)
  • 2 tablespoons brown mustard
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup red or white wine (you could also sub in chicken stock)
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
  • 1 bay leaf
  • kosher salt and pepper (to taste)
DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350F-375F, depending if you like crispy skin or not.
  2. Place artichokes, onions and mushrooms on the bottom of a big pan. (I used a really big skillet because it looks like they did in the picture. Prob would go w/ a pan next time because it's a lot of food)
  3. Place chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.
  4. Mix the mustard with the rest of the ingredients and pour over chicken.
  5. Season w/ kosher salt & pepper.
  6. Bake for one hour, basting the chicken once or twice







No comments:

Post a Comment