Monday, September 9, 2013

Oven-baked Pork Baby Back Ribs with Guava Glaze

I'm kicking myself for not getting a picture of this last night. It was off the chain good. I think I actually told Will that it was 'off the hizzook', which you'll forgive me for right?

I diverged a lot from the original recipe, but all I wanted it for was cooking temp/time and general direction. I'll let you know where I made my changes so that yall can feel free to take creative liberties as well.

I served these with a Cauliflower-Potato Mash and a Green Pepper Salad which I'll spell out below the ribs.

Oven-baked Pork Baby Back Ribs with Guava Glaze
Approx 3lbs Pork Baby Back Ribs (serves 2 adults)
Salt + Pepper
olive oil
12oz dark lager beer
  *I didn't have this, so I used 12oz of ginger ale. I can imagine that any number of cooking liquids could work here.

1/4 cup of Apricot Jelly
  * I didn't have so I used Guava Jelly (Callejas brand!)
1/4 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup of lemon juice
  *I used apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 300*
Cover a baking sheet with heavy duty aluminum foil (unless you love to do dishes, in which case skip this step). Place rack of ribs meat side up and salt + pepper 'em.
Drizzle olive oil on top and pour lager/ginger ale/cooking liquid to top.
Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 2 hrs.
Remove from oven and increase oven temp to BROIL.
Pour off about 2 cups of cooking liquid into a sauce pan. Add jelly, ketchup and lemon juice/vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and let reduce by about half.
*I never have patience for this. I reduced for about 5 min at a boil.
Flip ribs over to bone side up and pour half of the glaze over the ribs. Place in the oven on broil and cook for 6 minutes.
Flip over to meat side up, pour remaining glaze over the ribs. Place back in the oven on broil and cook for 6 minutes.
Let rest before serving.

Cauliflower-Potato Mash
1/2 head of cauliflower
2 russet potatoes, peeled and quartered

Put vegetables in a pot of water and boil until tender.
Pour off 90% of water.
Mash vegetables, add salt and white pepper and 2 tbsp of cream cheese
I used my immersion blender to get a really good puree.
Adjust seasoning to taste.

Green Bell Pepper Salad
1 green bell pepper, sliced
Malt Vinegar
Salt
Sugar

I of course don't have exact measurements because the recipe came from my dad. However, make the dressing to taste and his only recommendation is 'light on everything' and use more sugar than salt.



2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm I can't wait to try this. Maybe with some Sunday Night Football.

    ReplyDelete