Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Strawberry Almond Cake!

I saw this recipe on Tasty Kitchen and literally stared at it for two days straight. It looked super easy so I just had to make it. Plus, any almond flavored pastry makes my skirt fly up. Turns out, it was super easy and the end result was so delicious and so sweet. It was especially good this morning for breakfast with coffee.
For Cake:
1 c Butter
1 c Watter
2 c Flour
2 c Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1-1/2 tsp Almond Extract
1/2 c Sour Cream
2 whole eggs

For Icing:
1/2 c Butter
1/4 c Milk
3-1/2 c Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Almond Extract

Cake Directions:
* Preheat oven to 375
* In a small sauce pan, bring the butter and water to boil.
* While butter/water boils, mix dry flour and sugar in a large bowl.
* Pour boiling mixture into the bowl and mix well. Add baking soda, almond extract, and sour cream. Mix well.
* Add eggs. Mix well.
* Pour batter into 9x13 pan and bake for 20-25 minutes (note: I actually had to do it for closer to 30 minutes so just keep an eye on it and make sure it's not jiggly)
* Let cool for 20-30 minutes before icing.

Icing Directions:
* In a small sauce pan, bring butter and milk to boil.
* Add remaining ingredients to a large bowl. Pour boiling mixture into the bowl and mix well.
* Pour onto the cake and let sit for 20 minutes

You can then add any sort of fruit on top. The original recipe on Tasty Kitchen just added the blueberries on top of the slice before serving. As you can see, I covered the top of the cake with strawberries and it was AMAZING. You've been warned, though - it's super sweet. I might even reduce the sugar amount next time I make it just to see what that does to the cake. I would recommend this for sure though and the cake recipe seems like a good basic cake recipe that can be easily altered. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. I made this tonight with dinner and it was super easy and delicious. I divided the recipe in half to make a smaller portion, which worked great. And I didn't use all of the icing/glaze since you warned us about the sweetness. Alex loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I'm so glad you liked it! Good call on reducing the sugar. Can't wait to see you this weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete